In London its often cold outside but that’s no excuse to stay indoors! My friends know how much I love walking and I tell my clients it’s my free prescription for them in addition to our PT sessions!
Recent studies have uncovered so many health benefits of going for a winter walk:
- Boosts your brain – the fitter the legs, the fitter the mind! 🧠
- Researchers conclude brisk walking is the best exercise for maintaining a healthy weight
- You’ll lower the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis. A recent US study claims people with the lowest levels of Vitamin D are twice as likely to die prematurely as those with the highest.
- Walking just 1 mile a day at a moderate pace could reduce breast cancer patients’ risk of dying from the disease by 40% & with prostate cancer could reduce risk of death by almost a third, says research from Macmillan Cancer Support. The daily walk can reduce the impact of some of the side effects of cancer treatment also.
- A brisk 20 min walk/physical activity each day could be all you need to significantly reduce your chances of early death.
- It’s just as good as running! (My clients know I prefer walking!) US researchers say a long, brisk walk is as good as a run when it comes to lowering risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes.
- It can help beat depression and stress, releases endorphins and has massive mental health benefits. It has a mood lifting effect: THE FEEL GOOD FACTOR!
- It’s good for the joints – it’s low impact but helps keep your weight in check and actually prevents stiffness and swelling.
- Walking a little further or faster can increase the heart boosting benefits of your stroll, so challenge yourself!
- Walking in cold temperatures boosts your metabolism & will help you burn more calories because your body will work harder to stay warm!
- It strengthens your immune system so you should get less nasty winter colds and infections
- Make & build friendships! My walking buddies (some I’ve tagged) know that I’ll message them for a walk & talk – our friendships blossom as well as getting some exercise in! I love walking to a restaurant and back so we can enjoy the food even more! Walking 1000 steps after dinner helps digest your food, helps reduce weight, helps sleep better, lowers blood sugar, speeds up metabolism & improves blood circulation!
- PS It’s FREE & trust me it works! 😍
I know it’s hard to find the motivation to go out walking when it’s cold but hopefully the above reasons will help you change your mind.
The Physical Activity guidelines are 150 mins of moderate aerobic activity a week or 75 mins of vigorous aerobic activity a week. In addition to Strength Training on 2 or more days a week to maintain and strengthen muscles, bones & joints, burn fat & build lean muscle, as well as improve balance. (I’ll write another post on that!)
A regular walk can help meet the aerobic targets & it really works when trying to loose weight – trust me it worked for me!
The Physical Activity guidelines are 150 mins of moderate aerobic activity a week or 75 mins of vigorous aerobic activity a week. In addition to Strength Training on 2 or more days a week to maintain and strengthen muscles, bones & joints, burn fat & build lean muscle, as well as improve balance. (refer to my other blog on that!)
In summary, walking makes me feel good….happy walking!